The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act was passed late last year and is in full effect for 2016. This is good news for the freight industry and companies that routinely use common carriers and line haul shipping services. Learn what the FAST Act entails and why it’s a positive breakthrough for the sector.
FAST Act at a Glance
The FAST Act covers several provisions. Here are the main takeaway points:
- The bill allots $305 billion over a five-year course to be spent on improving the country’s roads and highways. This is a plus for many dedicated transport trucks and fleets that rely on these roads for a safe and timely journey.
- It completely overhauls the Compliance, Safety, and Accountability scoring system. This system rates and assigns scores to carrier companies. Many freight services believe the current system is flawed.
- It fills the industry with more able-bodied drivers. This includes making it easier for veterans to acquire a trucker’s license and providing travel opportunities for those in the 18-21 age group. This is huge considering that the American Trucking Association reported an all-time low in employed truckers in the end of 2015.
- Improved Drug Testing. To ensure the safety of motorists and your freight, the FAST Act will incorporate hair-follicle testing. This method is more accurate than the typical urine test.
- FAST also addresses other concerns like hazmat and railway issues. This includes the employment of thermal blankets for handling spills.
FAST Is Good for Everyone
Machine Transport is elated about the bill. It means better industry practices and safety for the truckload line haul services we typically coordinate with. It’s also good for your company. It will better ensure the safe and on-time arrival of your machine tool. The Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Bill is a provision that will improve the industry for years to come.
Edited by Justin Vorhees
Freight Brokers for Your Cargo Transport Needs
Serving suppliers in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico